Student Employment and Financial Aid Counselor
University of San Francisco
USF Hilltop Campus
Student Employment and Financial Aid Counselor
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Student Employment, the Student Employment Counselor is responsible for the placement and payment functions of the Federal Work-Study and Campus Based Employment programs; interprets and applies federal, state and institutional rules and regulations governing the placement of eligible students; performs other job placement activities including work authorizations and off campus agreements; acts as program lead in the absence of the Assistant Director of Student Employment within defined scope; does related work as required. Work requires excellent communication skills to make contact with a wide variety of Schools and College across campus as well as off-campus employers (i.e., public agencies, private non-profit organizations, governmental agencies). Work with departmental hiring managers to hire and terminate student employees.
Full Job Description:
- Maintains knowledge of federal and state regulations, and university policies related to financial aid programs to ensure the proper processing and documentation of student employment as well as all other federal and state programs.
- Serves as liaison for students, staff and local/State agencies regarding Federal Work-Study program.
- Assists with developing and implementing policies and procedures that ensure consistency and equity in the delivery of Financial Aid funding.
- Create email templates, flow charts, and answer guides, to aid in streamlining procedures.
- Assists with developing jobs on and off campus for work-study students, including jobs that meet the federally mandated community service requirements; aids students in placement with agencies.
- Initiates, processes and monitors employment contracts and earnings for off-campus agencies.
- Monitors program compliance on the applicable local, State and federal laws, policies, procedures and regulations including conducting mandated on-site visits to work locations to ensure integrity of program guidelines.
- Assists in the quality assurance efforts of the department, to include internal auditing of job assignments and student eligibility on a routine and systematic basis. Inclusive of Federal Work-Study reconciliation. Maintains documentation on students to comply with audit requirements.
- Assists with the onboarding process of student employee's through USFWorks and other tools.
- Assesses student needs; provides advice and guidance in employment counseling; matches employers/student needs with skills and abilities; counsels students on alternatives to work study funding.
- When necessary, determines eligibility for, and awards, financial aid to students in accordance with federal, state, and university laws, regulations and/or guidelines.
- Able to develop and present presentations at orientation sessions and conduct training sessions for supervisors.
- Maintains accuracy of job postings (requisitions).
- Work with departmental hiring managers to hire and terminate student employees.
- Monitors financial aid award reports for award changes, disqualifications and reinstatements of students.
- Monitors monthly earnings of students and notifies supervisors of eligible hours available; authorizes wage increases and payments for students.
- Assists with creating and sending accurate and timely mass communications related to the administration of student employment.
- Assists with development, implementation and execution of student employment communication efforts, which includes developing and updating forms, manuals, orientation packets, student and supervisor handbooks and newsletters.
- Assists with leading the efforts in the documentation review process; including review and development of all office communications to students via paper or electronic means, webpage content, and telephone service coordination.
- Helps to develop, maintain, and enhance the system process schedule related to student employment communications and ensure the timely execution of developed communications schedules.
- Maintain, develop, and enhance the Student Employment webpage and social media efforts related to student employment.
- Compile student employment statistics and management reports related to student communication (phone calls, e-mails, walk-in customers, etc.).
- Facilitate and maintain positive interdepartmental relationships across USF customer service teams to foster a positive customer service experience for USF applicants and continuing students.
- Provides technical assistance on matters related to the program.
- Promotes activities' programs and information that aid in student recruitment and retention.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Minimum of 2 years work experience in Higher Education, preferably in Financial Aid, Student Employment, or Enrollment.
- Ability to identify, troubleshoot, and resolve issues and develop processes to avoid future occurrences.
- Ability to meet deadlines and produce large volumes of work in a fast pace and adapting environment.
- Ability to monitor participant and program compliance with various college, state and federal funding and regulatory requirements.
- Ability to work cooperatively with staff, students, employers and the public.
- Knowledge of proper pre-employment screening, interviewing and advising methods and techniques.
- Knowledge and skill in training and monitoring performance of student staff.
- Ability to work with initiative and innovation; ability to analyze varied situations and identify appropriate solutions; ability to exercise independent judgment and make decisions.
- Ability to counsel prospective and enrolled students on all aspects of financial aid, to include financial management and budgeting practices as appropriate.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to make effective presentations to large and small groups (most presentations will be done in tandem with the Assistant Director of Student Employment).
- Knowledge of the procedures used to contact employers, discuss job openings and services available, and place people in jobs.
- Ability to analyze data and system and problem solve.
- Demonstrate commitment to customer service, which implies effective interpersonal behavior both towards students and other employees.
- Working knowledge of automated employment and financial aid systems (i.e. Workday and Banner).
- Ability to plan work assignments, set priorities and be flexible.
- Ability to read, understand, interpret and apply federal, State and institutional rules, regulations and policies.
Additional Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Working knowledge of WorkDay software applications and computer systems.
- Working knowledge of automated employment and financial aid systems (i.e. WorkDay and Banner).
- Experience in the field of employment or personnel which afforded experience in interviewing and recruitment techniques.
- Experience in financial aid and a basic knowledge of financial aid programs.
- Intermediate understanding of HTML and/or an HTML editor.
Reports to and works under the general supervision of the Assistant Director of Student Employment. Work is performed independently in accordance with federal, state and institutional policies, procedures, rules, regulations, procedures and interpretations.
This position coordinates and leads the work of student ambassadors in the absence of the Assistant Director of Student Employment.
To apply, visit https://usfca.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/USF_Staff/job/USF-Hilltop-Campus/Student-Employment-and-Financial-Aid-Counselor_R0003650.
The University of San Francisco is located in the heart of one of the worlds most innovative and diverse cities, and is home to a vibrant academic community of students and faculty who achieve excellence in their fields. Its diverse student body enjoys direct access to faculty, small classes and outstanding opportunities in the city itself. USF is San Francisco's first university, and its Jesuit Catholic mission helps ignite a students passion for social justice and a desire to Change the World From Here. For more information, visit http://www.usfca.edu.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency